Today it's time to finish up the dress!
First up: Side seams.
Now that we've got the neckline and armhole seams all taken care of, it's time to sew up the side seams. I like to match them together, placing a pin so that I will know they meet in exactly the right place. (And so I can see that I didn't get my ribbon placed perfectly and it's NOT going to meet just right!) Then I sew from that pin down the dress fabric, stopping and backstitching several times exactly 4" from the bottom.
Next I start back at the pin and sew down the side seam of the lining fabric, again stopping and backstitching 4" from the bottom. Press both of these seams flat, then repeat on the other side.
I clipped those seam just a little so that they would lay flat, and then after I turned everything right side out I stitched-in-the-ditch under the arm just a little bit to be sure that the two side seams would lay nicely against each other.
Now it's time to finish the vents. Fold under the serged edge in the vent area and press it. Then stitch around the vent, backstitching across the stop of the vent for more strength.
Repeat on the other vent and on the lining vents as well.
Next, turn the dress inside out and press the lining fabric under where you will slip stitch it to the zipper. (Not too close to the teeth--you don't want it catching.) About an inch below the zipper sew the rest of the lining center back seam together, and press open.
(Note: The lining will end up with seams facing towards the underside of the dress fabric.)
Press the dress hem up (I used 1") and sew with the machine. (Make sure yours is more even than mine!)
Next, press the lining hem under just 1/4" and sew that.
I attached the dress and lining to each other just above the lining vent. Using a needle and thread I sewed back and forth between the two, leaving a space of about 1/2". Then I sewed around these threads with a buttonhole stitch, over and over and over until it was all covered. This will keep the lining nicely in place.
Finally, I sewed bows that matched my ribbon above the vents. It's done!
They turned out just like I'd imagined and my girls are so excited about them. I can't wait to try the pattern again with different fabric!
Thanks for joining me,