In my little knit layette pattern, on which I am sedulously working behind the scenes here, I am very careful to suggest that, when sewing with any knit fabric that's unfamiliar to you, you sew a test piece of binding. I give instructions. I show pictures. Because it's not just a good idea, it's the key to your binding success.
This morning, in need of another bodysuit of which to take photos for the pattern, I grabbed a blue and a brown knit from my stack and went to town. Because I knew what I was doing, right? I didn't need to spend the extra few minutes to make a test piece of binding.
Oh, Erin. When will you learn to take your own advice?
The brown fabric seemed a little more reluctant to stretch than the other fabrics I've been using, but I tugged it and got it to fit, and pressed onward. Only when I finished this shoulda-been-so-cute bodysuit and pulled it on over the shoulders of the dress form here did I realize my mistake.
That binding is never going to let those shoulders go. It's just too tight. If I had sewn the darn test binding, I would have known that the brown fabric doesn't stretch as much as the blue, pink, or white fabrics, and at that point I could have adjusted my measurements accordingly. Perhaps, instead of cutting this binding 3/4 the length of the edges it was supposed to bind, I should have cut it 4/5. Or more. A couple of minutes would've saved a whole outfit.
Of course, I could claim that I sewed a whole bodysuit with a too-tight binding just to show you what not to do. That would balm my wounded ego.
Not as much as sewing another one done right, though, I guess. Back into the fray...